What is a Mommy Makeover?
Mommy makeovers offer a combination of restorative, rejuvenating procedures for women. The joys of motherhood are boundless and wonderful, but the changes in a post-pregnancy body usually are not. Some women bounce right back to their pre-pregnancy body, while others look into the mirror and sigh.
Mommy makeovers are custom-designed procedures to help you get your body back after children. The most common areas of concern are the abdomen that has changed after pregnancy, and breasts have lost volume, shape, and symmetry. Another area of concern is new fat deposits that arrive in more intimate areas.
Mommy makeovers can include:
- Abdominoplasty (also known as a tummy tuck)
- Breast lift, breast augmentation, or both
- Pubic lift (also knows as monsplasty)
Why Do Women Request Makeovers?
Mommy makeovers help return you to a more youthful shape and address the undesired effects of pregnancy.
All women, who go through pregnancy, experience changes in their body. These can be subtle at first and become quite dramatic over time. Post-pregnancy bodies are known to resist the best intentions, best nutrition, and most rigorous workout programs.
- Changes in facial skin (pigment and color)
- Stretched and/or separated abdominal muscles
- Unattractive skin
- Stretch marks
- Droopy and/or deflated breasts
- Changes in the thighs, pelvic or hip
- Vaginal or genital areas
- Excess fat deposits on many body areas
- Less exciting sex life
- And a general feeling of just looking older
Pregnancy affects multiple areas of the body, which is why a combination of procedures is often needed to restore what has been lost so you can get your body back.
Mommy Makeover Benefits
- Helps return your body to the same condition you had before you became pregnant
- Can rejuvenate multiple body areas at once
- Restore the shape, contour, balance, and function
- Help you enjoy the wardrobe you once loved
- Provide renewed confidence in your workout program
- Enhanced self-esteem and confidence
For years, Dr. Rudderman has been using the right combination of procedures, proper timing, expertise, artistic skills, and a safe personalized plan to help guide women through the transformation of their body so they look better and feel healthier.
Who is a Good Candidate?
Do you have one or more of the following concerns?
- Unpleasing changes in facial and body skin
- The abdomen is out of shape and resists even rigorous diet and exercise
- Breasts have become droopy and/or deflated
- Shape and weight has changed in the pelvis, hip, thigh areas
- Sex life is affected due to a stretched vagina and genital area changes
- Your body is just out of shape, is without balance, and harbors fat deposits
If you answered yes to one or more of these you could be an ideal candidate for Dr. Rudderman’s personalized Mommy Makeover.
Before committing to a Mommy Makeover it is important to: be at a stable weight, not planning to have more children (or at least not for 9-12 months), and you should be finished with breastfeeding. These factors improve the results of Mommy Makeovers.
Future pregnancy, weight gain, lack of exercise and normal aging will impact the long-term results of any Mommy Makeover procedure. But, if you do have a Mommy Makeover and then become pregnant, your improved health and weight helps you look and feel better after your pregnancy!
Good Candidates are committed and motivated to a good diet and workout program. You should also, be in otherwise good health and capable of realistic expectations.
Your Consultation With Dr. Rudderman
Dr. Rudderman believes the consultation is critical for you and him. From the consultation evolves a sense of trust, respect, mutual understanding, and a personalized treatment plan.
The consultation for Mommy Makeovers is very comprehensive and includes the following:
- The different time frames and motivations women have when exploring Mommy Makeover options.
- The multiple body areas involved and the procedure options to address each one.
- Your individual concerns, goals, current health, family history, lifestyle, anatomy, skin condition, weight and body contour and much more.
- A thorough physical/anatomical exam to define/target areas of concern.
- A mutual understanding of your concerns, goals and realistic expectations.
- Creation of a treatment plan that specifically addresses your needs and body type.
These treatments are not an emergency, and plenty of time will be allowed to have a full conversation to consider options. Additional visits can be provided until you feel confident that you are making the best decision for yourself in health, safety, and outcome.
Written and reviewed by:
This article was written by Dr. Randy Rudderman, who is board certified by the American Board of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (1994). He practices medicine at his offices in Alpharetta and Atlanta.
Learn more about Dr. Rudderman, his medical training, and credentials.
Mommy Makeover Recovery & Results
- You will wake up with a dressing and binder over the treated area.
- Mild swelling and some discomfort are normal and to be expected. This resolves on its own and often requires pain medication for several days then only acetaminophen.
- Swelling depends on the areas treated.
- Sutures are removed in 1 week. Some sutures are absorbable and do not need to be removed.
- Most patients who have surgery can return to work in two weeks.
- You will need help at home if you have children for at least a week and should be prepared for this before surgery.
- Avoid strenuous activity for 3 weeks.
- Dr. Rudderman will tell you when you can start to exercise again.
Measurable results are typically visible immediately, but be patient, healing and stabilizing takes time. It can take months for the “new you” to be clearly seen.
Mommy Makeover Surgery Frequently Asked Questions
Search our list of FAQs for the answers you are looking for.