A monsplasty, also know as pubic area contouring or pubic mound surgery, is a procedure designed to reduce bulging of the mons or pubic area.
Genetics & Lifestyle Influence the Need for Monsplasty
Pubic area surgery restores the more youthful, balanced size and shape you once enjoyed. One of the body areas, most resistant to diet and exercise, is the pubic area. This is the hair-bearing tissue that covers the pubic bone and surrounding tissue. Over time, this area often becomes prominent and fuller than the surrounding areas, causing a “bulge.” Frustration and embarrassment usually result since this bulging is evident in certain clothing and during many if not most activities.
The Benefits of Pubic Area Surgery
- Pubic area surgery is safe, effective and commonly performed
- A monsplasty rejuvenates the pubic mound
- Pubic area surgery corrects sagging skin and lifts the Pubic Mons
- A monsplasty restores symmetry, position, shape and balance
- The surgery can restore normal urinary function
- Pubic area surgery can be done at any age and stage in life
- It eliminates embarrassment…restores self esteem
- It is often done along with a Tummy Tuck
- Rudderman is sensitive and offers safe, predictable options
Good Candidates for Surgery
Do you have one or more of the following concerns?
- Bulging pubic area that shows through clothing, bathing suits, etc.
- Pubic area shape has changed since pregnancy or weight change
- Your lower abdomen and pubic area sags
- You’re unhappy with the size, shape, excess skin in the pubic area
- The age-related changes to your pubic mons are embarrassing
- The pubic area feels too full or impacts your genital area look and function
- Pubic area prominence is less than feminine
- Diet and exercise have not helped at all
- You have a strong desire to look younger and sexier again
Pubic and mons pubic changes can be challenging, difficult to manage, and cause embarrassment both in and out of clothing. These changes can affect those with normal to heavier weight and because the area is so resistant to weight loss and exercise, the prominence may be more visible as weight drops. Many women complain that a prominent mons area (the area of fat pad over the pubic bone above the labia) is difficult to hide when enlarged and affects everything from undergarments to swimwear to dresses and pants. This bulge can impact intimacy as well.
In many cases, liposuction alone may be enough to reduce the volume. Often women may need some combination of liposuction and skin removal to restore a more pleasing appearance. The incision scar often resembles a c section scar and is inconspicuous in position. The operation is outpatient and most patients can return to work in 3-4 days, with exercise in 3 weeks, and beach and pool soon thereafter. The results are quite reliable and patients tend to be extremely pleased with the resolution of a problem area that may have. Been present for years. Many patients have these concerns and most are not aware that solutions exist that are safe and predictable.
For years, Dr. Rudderman has been using the right combination of procedures, proper timing, expertise, artistic skills, and a safe personalized plan…to help guide women through procedures …to transform their body so they look better and feel healthier.
Your Consultation With Dr. Rudderman
Dr. Rudderman believes the consultation is critical for you and him. From the consultation evolves…trust, respect, mutual understanding and a detailed, personalized treatment plan. Employing my expertise and special techniques enables me to achieve consistent…natural, pleasing results. During this consultation, I spend considerable time, one on one, with you to assess your anatomy, tissue and skin characteristics, and your desires for long term outcome. This helps me determine the right techniques for your anatomy that will achieve safe, predictable results.
These treatments are not an emergency, and plenty of time will be allowed to have a full conversation to consider options. Additional visits can be provided until you feel confident that you are making the best decision for yourself in health, safety, and outcome.
Dr. Rudderman has done hundreds of body surgeries and can project your likely outcomes. From the consultation evolves trust, respect, mutual understanding, and a personalized treatment plan.
After your first consultation with Dr. Rudderman, you will realize that there truly is a difference in how surgeons approach their profession. For Dr. Rudderma that difference means understanding your desires and goals and providing a level of service that places safety and comfort alongside predictable and pleasing outcomes.
Written and reviewed by:
This article was written by Dr. Randy Rudderman, who is board certified by the American Board of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (1994). He practices medicine at his offices in Alpharetta and Atlanta.
What to Expect After Monsplasty Surgery
- You will wake up with a dressing and binder over the treated area.
- Mild swelling and some discomfort are normal and to be expected. This resolves on its own and often requires pain medication for several days then only acetaminophen
- Swelling generally is mild and resolves in one to two weeks.
- Sutures are removed in one week. Some sutures are absorbable and do not need to be removed.
- Most patients who have surgery can return to work in two days.
- Avoid strenuous activity for three weeks. Dr. Rudderman will tell you when you can start to exercise again
- Measurable results are typically visible immediately, but be patient as healing and stabilizing takes time. It can take months for the “new you” to be clearly seen.
The results from this procedure are long-lasting. A good follow-up plan is necessary. Additional surgery to further improve the appearance is unlikely. Occasionally additional skin may be removed in 1-2 years depending on skin laxity and additional weight loss but is rare.
Pubic Area Surgery Frequently Asked Questions
Search our list of FAQs for the answers you are looking for.