Congratulations you just found out you are expecting a bundle of joy. Many changes are coming your way. Your doctor has already advised you about what foods, medications, and activities to avoid. But what about skincare, facials, and injectables?
Your skincare and anti-aging regimen may need some modifications for the next nine months. Don’t worry there are options for mothers to be to have gorgeous glowing skin throughout their pregnancy.
Pregnancy Skincare – Do’s and Don’ts
- Do enjoy monthly facials. The HydraFacial can be modified for your personal skincare needs. Pregnant patients enjoy this facial and love the way their skin glows afterward.
- Don’t have injectable treatments such as Botox® and Juvederm® while pregnant. It is not known if these injectables can harm your unborn baby. It is recommended to wait until after you are done breastfeeding because it is not known if this passes into breast milk.
- Do wash your face with a gentle cleanser before bed. It is a simple task, but many women skip this step because they are too exhausted. Removing dirt and makeup will help prevent breakouts and clogged pores.
- Do wear sunscreen daily. Your skin will thank you. We carry EltaMD sunscreens that protect your skin from UVA aging and UVB burning rays. Sunscreen also helps prevent melasma commonly known as the pregnancy mask.
- Don’t use skincare products with active ingredients such as retinol, hydroquinone, and alpha/beta hydroxy. When in doubt, ask your physician or skincare professional.
- Do use vitamin C. In addition to antioxidant protective benefits, vitamin C improves signs of aging and photodamage, the appearance of lines and wrinkles, and the loss of firmness while brightening skin’s complexion.
If you want to have that beautiful pregnancy glow, schedule a consult with Anna or Tonya, our trained medical estheticians.